Tuesday 9 October 2012

Favourite: Books

I thought I would do a small series of posts containing some of my favourite things, so you can get to know me a little more ;). It seemed right to start with books as these are some of my favourite possessions  and I am rarely (if ever!) found  without one. I found it EXTREMELY hard to narrow down 5, and I'm sure if you ask me again in a few weeks this would have changed... but I did my very best to pick books I have loved for a long time.


1. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban - I would say the HP books as a whole are my absolute favourite. Like many people my age, I have grown up with them. Until this time last year every moment I can remember of my life has been spent waiting the next book or next film. I adore HP and truly believe they will be my favourite books forever. If I had to pick one, I would choose The Prisoner Of Azkaban. This is my go-to film and book if I need a little dose of HP! I'm not entirely sure why, but I think it could be because this is the first one that felt a little scary. I've never been into scary things (not even Goosebumps!) so it was a big deal I liked this when I was young ha! Plus we meet my two favourite characters of the entire series in this book, Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Ohhh I might have to put the film on now ha!

2. Elsewhere - I'm not a fan of crap books where nothing happens, it's just a plain story. I need books where things happen. I want books to make me emotional. I want to completely lose myself until its over. I went through a phase of 'death books', where characters are ill or dead or someone close is. This was one of the first books I read where the main character dies. The book is about her beautiful, fantastic afterlife, and it is a version of the afterlife I had never come across before or since. I don't want to say much more, but it is a book you will not regret reading.

3. Mystery Man - Ohh I love this so much! The story is about a man who owns a mystery bookshop called No Alibis in Belfast, and when the private detective next door appears to shut shop, its clients find their way into No Alibis. I love a good murder mystery, in fact I love any sort of mystery or twist in a book! This one is unlike any other murder mystery's I have read as it is SO funny! The main character has all sorts of issues, and has such a skewed, hilarious view on all situations that I couldn't put it down. Something a little different and truly fabulous. There are also now two more books in this series, Day Of The Jack Russell and Dr Yes.

4. No Time For Goodbye - Linwood Barclay is one of my favourite authors. His books are full of mystery and as of yet I have not guessed an ending correctly! I'm pretty good at predicting the end of books and films, I put it down to doing Film Studies in college but I suppose I could before that too. So it's a pretty big deal when I find something I just can't figure out - I love it! This books is about a girl who awakes one morning and her family has disappeared, nothing has changed in the house, nobody saw anything. Completely gone. We catch up with her 25 years later with a family of her own, still no more information on the disappearance of her family - until she receives a letter one morning.... You seriously need to read this book.

5. Life On The Refrigerator Door - A beautiful, sad little book. The entire book consists of a post-it on the fridge conversation between a mother and her daughter. It is a very quick read due to this - I sat for a quick peek at the first few pages and didn't move until I finished it around 30 minutes later. For such a short book it certainly takes you for an emotional ride. One day there is a note on the fridge from her mother that is different to all the others, and life is never the same again. Do not wear mascara whilst reading this.



Oof that was a lot more rambley than I expected! So much for a quickie post :p. I've just finished reading The Hunger Games, which I really liked... but I didn't like the ending. It seemed very rushed and not thought through. As a whole I enjoyed the series though. Next on my list is The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. I'm a strong believer that the book is always better than the film, that's not to say I don't enjoy the film! I just get more from the book. My friend passed me this as it is her all time favourite book - how can I say no to that?! 

love 

2 comments:

  1. Heh, I'm still loving the HP books, too. Doesn't matter that I'm 29. And I remember No Time For Goodbye - I found it on the shelf of some B&B we were staying in in Scotland and traded it for a book I had just finished. I was so hooked right away! Now i think i'll give Elsewhere a go.

    Cheers
    Michaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved all of Linwood Barclay's books so far! Great writer. I hope you enjoy Elsewhere :)

      Delete